Green the Gap in Bandra lets you buy products that are unique and environment friendly says Dev Goswami. And you’ll never guess that most are made of recycled material!
Located off Pali Road in Bandra, Green the Gap is a tiny store that is easy to miss, but the stuff that they sell makes it stand out. Started by the NGO Swechha, Green the Gap is a retail outlet for them to sell products such as bags, wallets, purses and home decor. Their products are made from almost 80% recycled materials.
The brand is the brainchild of Vimlendra Jha and is the second in the country, after their flagship store in Delhi. They use items such as rubber tyres, old cassettes, juice and milk cartons to make things that you can use in your day-to-day life. And don’t worry about the quality. The reason only 80% of a product is made of recycled material is that the other 20% material is used to ensure the quality of the product. For example, the handbags (`700 onwards) use patches of waste fabrics from factories but the zips installed are of a reputable brand.
While the handbags look recycled only when you scrutinise the fabric, the wallets clearly tell you that they have been made with recycled items. Priced from `550 onwards, you can actually see the original package design. If you don’t like the idea of carrying around juice and milk brand names on your wallet, then you can opt for the tyre wallets which have been made from used rubber tyres of cars and bikes.
One particular item that immediately caught our fancy was a pen stand made out of old cassettes priced at `150. Other interesting products include coasters made out of CDs as well as tetra pack cardboard and tyre tubes (`110 - `275) and a notepad made out of toilet paper (`200) — don’t worry, it’s unused. They also have a beautiful range of hanging plants (`400) which are set in used soft drink bottles as well as a range of wall hangings (`550) which are made out of thread.
While they have a variety of handbags, pen holders, wallets, vases, diaries, notepads and coasters, we hope that they come out with a wider range of products. But, we still recommend you visit this store and check out the fun and very reasonably priced products.
Where Jewel Milan Apartments, Ground Floor, Pali Naka, Bandra (W)