Function merrily knowing that NMMC is too lazy to check on them
As many as 14 blacklisted schools located in Navi Mumbai continue to function in spite of the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) warning them of heavy penalties if they do not close down. The NMMC had recently issued a list of schools which have been declared illegal by its Education Department. However, the Education Department’s inability to act against such institutions has given them the boldness to operate without any fear.
Of the 14 illegal schools, ten are of English medium, two of Marathi and two of Hindi medium. Every year, the NMMC issues a list of blacklisted schools but never bothers to check whether those schools are closed or open.
Interestingly, 12 schools among the 18 blacklisted last year are again featured in this year’s list. Schools were declared illegal for failing to procure requisite permissions from concerned departments.
“These schools do not have requisite permissions to operate and conduct examinations. Now, the students’ future is at stake, as the education department will not recognize the examination conducted by these schools. The NMMC had already warned parents not to get their children admitted to blacklisted schools,” said Mayor Sagar Naik.
As per government rules, a penalty of Rs. 1 lakh under the Education Act 2009, section 18 (5), has to be recovered from a blacklisted school. After this, if the school continues to operate, then a penalty of Rs.10,000 will be enforced on a daily basis. But this was not done.
E A Patil, NMMC Education Committee Chairman, said, “Every year, the NMMC conducts a survey to detect whether any unauthorized schools have been operating in the city. As per the rules, all schools approved by the state government or other boards must get their names registered with the NMMC. After the survey, notices are sent to the concerned authorities of the defaulting school. But even till date, the NMMC has not taken any kind of action against those schools nor collected penalty.”
This academic year, the schools that are blacklisted are:
- Bharatiya Jagran School, - Marathi, English and Hindi, in Koparkhairane
- Shri Ram Hindi Vidyalaya, Hindi medium, Shirawne
- St Xavier's School, Marathi medium, Nerul
- Rajeev Gandhi Hindi Vidyalaya, Hindi medium, Yadavnagar
- Goodwill English school, Shirawne
- Right Way English School, English medium, Section 21, Nerul
- Red Cliff School, English medium, Belapur
- Eden School, English medium, Nerul
- English School, English medium, Koparkhairane
- Apex School, English medium, Gothivali
- Freedom fighter and Maruti Kale school, English medium, Nerul
- Sai Jyoti English School, Koparkhairane
- New City English School, Sanpada
- Shri Sai Joyti English School, Koparkhairne
- Indrayani English Medium School, Koparkhairane