With swine flu claiming the life of a 13-year-old girl in Navi Mumbai earlier this month, the civic body has swung into action, focussing all its efforts to ensure that the infectious virus does not turn into an epidemic. Civic officials may mask their fears, but the dreaded virus has resurfaced in city, and five others, besides the one dead, have been infected by it.
Talking about the precautionary measures being taken, Dr. Shyam More, Medical Superintendent at Dr. D.Y. Patil Hospital, Nerul, states, “We have assigned a special ward and OPD (out patient department) for suspected cases of swine flu, and have ordered additional vaccines which may be required in case of an emergency.” He further adds, “As per a health department order, we have also opened a 20-bed isolation ward for suspected H1N1 cases, though at present, we don’t have any swine flu patients in the hospital.” Incidentally, 17 people, (including those diagnosed) have been regarded as suspected cases already this year, which includes a 4-month-old baby currently being treated at the NMMC hospital in Vashi.
- Wash your hands.
- Avoid crowded places.
- Stay more than an arm’s length away from persons sick with flu.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Drink plenty of water and eat nutritious food.
- Shake hands or hug.
- Spit in public.
- Take medicines without consulting a physician.
If you are sick:
- Seek medical advice.
- Limit contact with others.
- Rest and take plenty of liquids.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
Important numbers for medical support
- Vashi- 27899905/06
- Belapur- 27573781/27578838/27578839
- Nerul- 27700376/1808
- Turbhe- 27830827/ 27836692
- Koparkhaiarne- 27544655
- Airoli- 27604472
Civic action so far:
- The NMMC has allocated isolation wards at NMMC Hospital, Vashi and at Dr. D.Y. Patil Hospital, Nerul.
- The civic body has directed all private hospitals and schools to inform the health department if they notice swine flu symptoms.
- Two lakh pamphlets have been distributed in the city to create awareness among people about the virus.
- In case of an emergency, people can contact at any civic hospital or health centre.
What is swine flu?
According to medical experts, the swine flu virus originated from pigs. Pigs, like humans, get afflicted with influenza (flu), but this particular strain is a mutated form, having components from both pig and bird influenza viruses, against which, humans lack immunity.
Swine flu symptoms:
The symptoms of swine flu are broadly the same as those of ordinary flu, but may be more severe and cause more serious complications. There is a sudden fever (a high body temperature of over 38 degrees C or 100.4 degrees F) or a sudden cough along with headaches, tiredness, chills, aching muscles, limb or joint pain, diarrhoea or stomach upset and vomiting, sore throat and cough, runny nose, sneezing and loss of appetite. Especially at risk are the immune-compromised, pregnant women and children.