Cloud Computing is expected to generate around two million jobs in the country by 2015. Expected to change the computer industry drastically, Cloud Computing will take computing and how we work to a whole other level. Pranav Ajgaonkar, an IT consultant and e-business connoisseur with progressive experience explores the scope of Cloud Computing and it’s career prospects.
What is Cloud Computing?
I listen to this buzz all the time; some say Cloud is a system centre while others say it is a virtualization management product or an IT library framework. I sit back wondering what exactly cloud is.
Cloud is an Internet-Based computing model that provides web-based software, middleware and computing resources on demand. This Includes infrastructure, platform & application. Cloud Computing technologies, networks and data systems that store data virtually, are now one of the most talked-about topics in IT.
Businesses are looking for more cost-effective and agile ways to build and operate their IT infrastructure. This means cloud is not just a passing fad, but a real change for the industry.
Cloud Computing reshapes the IT professional's role, both within individual organizations and data centres. Cloud Computing careers call on IT professionals with specialized skills in developing, implementing, and servicing IT systems across distributed network architecture.
Different service models for Cloud Computing offer varying degrees of resource access for consumers, while the provider manages the underlying IT infrastructure (network, servers, storage, etc).
There are three types of cloud computing
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
The expertise you need, for a career in cloud computing depends on your intended career path.
- IT administrators benefit from a knowledge of service-oriented architecture (SOA). The SOA registry/repository is crucial for integrating on- and off-premises infrastructure to expose and govern cloud services.
- Network architects draw on advanced knowledge of parallel computing to develop distributed cloud computing networks.
- From service provider to end user, a vast team of IT systems administrators, network analysts, database managers, network engineers, security experts, and information architects keep the cloud up and running. These jobs in Cloud Computing draw on a combination of basic information systems training and specialized skills in distributed networking.
Career Benefits & Skills for cloud
It's changing the way IT professionals think and work.
As a result of this move towards virtualisation and Cloud Computing, the physical aspect of IT systems is reducing and workers in IT may find themselves working less and less directly with large data storage units.
That is why, if you're looking to work with this emerging technology, you'll need to be good at more abstract thinking instead, and an active imagination comes in handy as well.
To work in a cloud environment, you need strong virtualisation skills, automation and orchestration experience.
Employers also look for recognised professional qualifications (ie CCIE, VCP, and Microsoft SQL) and multi-platform experience.
Strong ‘on the job’ experience and keeping up with the latest happenings in the market are key advantages. Understanding what analysts talk about, what vendors offer and what customers want is also crucial. Combining this with strategic understanding of the business goals alongside commercial acumen will help you stand out in the crowd.
Even though it might be reasonably easy to find people with the right skills for this sort of work, it can take a long time to bring them up to speed. This is because cloud is not necessarily the same everywhere; each company would use a different model.
There is significant investment in virtualisation and Cloud Computing, taking place in IT. From SME to corporate giants, it is a very exciting time to be involved in this industry. The next three to four years are going to see a huge increase in the uptake of Cloud Computing and this will, in turn, transform how IT departments are shaped.
Cloud Computing degrees and certification programs lay the foundation for a career in Cloud Computing. Look for a bachelor's or master's degree in computer science or information science to get started. Then add specialized training in key areas such as network security, database management and distributed networks. Some jobs in Cloud Computing value experience in specific Cloud Computing vendor technologies. Vendors such as IBM, Microsoft, VMware, HP and 3Tera are among those that offer Cloud Computing certifications.
These are some of the Certifications
- IBM Certified Solution Advisor - Cloud Computing Architecture V2.
- IBM Certified Solution Architect - Cloud Computing Infrastructure V1.
- HP ASE - Cloud Architect & Integrator.
- HP ATP - Cloud Administrator.
- HP ATA (Accredited Technical Associate) – Cloud.
- VCAP-DCA (VMware Certified Advanced Professional Data centre Administration).
- VCAP-DCD – (VMware Certified Advanced Professional Data centre Design).
- Cisco – Certified Design Expert.
- 3Tera - CCSK - Certificate of Cloud Security Knowledge.
- 3Tera - CCA - Certificate of Cloud Architect.
- Microsoft Windows Azure Certifications.
- Intel Cloud Builders program.
- Red Hat Premier Cloud Provider Program.
The Cost of the training can range from minimum Rs.20,000 to Rs.55,000. NIIT Limited, Karrox Technologies Ltd & Seed InfoTech Ltd are some of the institutes available in India, which can train and certify in cloud computing technology.
Examples of Cloud
computing successes in recent times
- Service Now (http://www.servicenow.com)
- Zuora (http://zuora.com/)
- Cloudera (http://www.cloudera.com)
- Box (https://www.box.com)
- Sales Force (http://www.salesforce.com/in)
- Workday – (http://www.workday.com)
- Okta – (http://www.okta.com)
- Success Factors (http://www.successfactors.com)
- Amazon Web Services (http://aws.amazon.com)
- Piston Cloud – (http://www.pistoncloud.com)
Cloud Computing careers are growing rapidly as the IT sector shifts to the new Cloud Data Infrastructure.
You also need good project management skills to envision Cloud Computing technology, no matter how enormous it seems to be, and break it down into sizable chunks of actions.
IT professionals/fresher needs to gear up for this and focus on how best they can add value to the business.
Institutes offering Cloud Computing Courses
St. Angelo’s Professional Education
202, 2nd Floor, A Wing, Gopal Bhavan,
Azad Road, Sir M. V. Road, Above Pallavi Hotel, Andheri (E), Mumbai - 400069.
Call: 9867864444 or 9320036666.
Visit: www.saintangelos.com or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
IIJT Education Private Limited
Office no 6, 3rd floor, C Wing,
Laxmi Towers, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (E)
Mumbai - 400051
Visit: www.iijt.net or call 18002666777
CMS Computer Institute
11th Floor, Silver Metropolis,
Off Western Express Highway,
Goregaon (East), Mumbai- 400 063,
Board Line: 022-67553100/04
B.E.S.T Bus Depot Building, Above Anupam Stationeries, Andheri (W), Mumbai-58.
Ph:022 6282589, 98 3388 1638
Above Satkar Hotel, Churchgate, Mumbai – 400 020
Seed Infotech Ltd
'Panchasheel', 42/16, Erandawana,
SEED Infotech Lane, Off Karve Road,
Aptech Computer Education
36 Sion House, 2nd Floor,
Opp Sion Station, Sion, Mumbai - 400 002
Ph: 022 - 24014247/ 5884
Rajesh centre, 2nd floor,
Andheri (West), Mumbai 400 058.
Tel.: 022 – 32207543 / 44 / 45 / 46
66710543 / 44 / 45 / 46
Ace Computer Education
7,Ruby Apts, Opp Union Bank, M V Road, Andheri East, Mumbai - 400069
is a consultant, recognized e-business connoisseur with progressive experience in IT & Management Expertise. With a career spanning 14+ years, he has specialized in process automation and is a web e-business specialist utilizing complex automated bespoke web application development. He uses Microsoft and Open source technologies, possesses IT industry expertise, both upstream and downstream.