Afternoon D & C Dedicated To Mumbai
Home > Education & Career > Studying Abroad

Studying Abroad

Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Alisha Mashruwala is a Partner at OnCourse and a Harvard graduate, and is also a Psychology major with a minor in Economics

My son plays the piano, guitar and violin. He wants to study Diploma in Music at NAFA Singapore. Is it necessary for him to clear the CBSE Grade XII exam? Or can he apply with Grade X results?
—Kaniyalal Mistri

In order to apply for the Diploma in Music at NAFA (Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts) Singapore, he does not need to submit CBSE Grade XII results. He can apply using his Grade X results. However, please note that applicants should be 16 years of age or above in the year they are admitted to Year 1 of the diploma course.

I am interested in pursuing a Master’s in Political Science in the UK on completion of my BA Economics. Please explain the difference between taught and research postgraduate programmes?
—Chandni Sharma

The UK offers both taught and research postgraduate programs. Taught postgraduate degrees are usually designed to develop in-depth knowledge in specialised subjects that you may have studied at the undergraduate level. They involve a series of taught modules, delivered through lectures, seminars and practical work. Full-time taught master’s programmes usually last for one-year. At the end of your course, you will be granted a Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MSc), or Master of Business Administration (MBA) qualification, depending on your subject of study.

In a Research master’s degree most learning takes place through research. It is essential for you to be able to work independently as you will receive less tutor support than that provided on a taught degree. Research degrees are usually preferred for students who wish to undertake PhD studies. Full-time Master’s by research programmes usually last for 18 months. Some courses may last as long as 36 months.  At the end of your course, you will be granted a Master of Philosphy (MPhil), Master of Research (MRes), Master of Arts (MA by Research), or Master of Science (MSc by Research) qualification, depending on your subject of study.

I am currently studying B.COM with Accountancy. I am interested in pursuing CPA exams in the US. Can you please guide me regarding the CPA process?
—Nutan Pavitra

The CPA (Certified Public Accountant) in the US is equivalent to India’s CA or Chartered Accountancy program. In order to start professional work as a CPA in the US, you will need to pass the UCPA or Uniform CPA exam. You will also need to clear State-wise requirements for CPA licensure. Simply said, the 3 E’s needed for licensures are:   Education, Exam or Uniform CPA Examination and Experience. In order to start your CPA exam preparation, you will need to complete your Bachelor’s Degree which in the US is 4 years or 150 hours. So, if you have a B.COM degree from India, it would be best if you would do a M.COM to start your CPA training. As a part of the state CPA licensure requirements, you will be required some kind of work experience in Accounting. This requirement will vary based on the State of your Licensure. You may start preparing for the CPA exam in India with the help of local training institutes. The International testing centres are at Bahrain, Brazil, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

No Comments Posted
City news
Accused wanted in 50 cases of cheating
An accused from Punjab, who had come to ...
Mallya claims he had not fled, but had ...
Is it safe to have intercourse during the menses?
Dr. Rajan B. Bhonsle, M.D. (Bom)
Consulting Sex Therapist & Counsellor
Dr. (Mrs.) Minnu R. Bhonsle, Ph.D.
Consulting Psychotherapist & Counsellor
Select Sun sign:
Aries (Mar 21 - Apr 20)
Aries (Mar 21 - Apr 20)Set today aside for your hobbies and pass-times. Ganesha says doing things that you like will put you in high spirits, and it will show up in the way you behave with people you love. You may not be able to fully involve yourself in work but your seniors will be understanding.
- Advertising -
The Urban Lens Film Festival, which begins today,
Here's a chance for students to indulge in a scru
If you're pawing at the door to escape, bring you
Read More